Stone Horse Refit

  • Print

The Stone Horse 23-foot cutter was designed in 1934 by Sam Crocker. In 1968, Mait Edey and Peter Duff of Mattapoisett, Massachusetts adapted the design for fiberglass and began semi-custom production, building about 150 of these attractive pocket cruisers. Theyre much sought after and well-known for their performance, seaworthiness, and easy handling. The Stone Horse has a full keel drawing three and half feet, displacing 4,490 lbs. with about 2,000 pounds of lead ballast. The 339 square feet of sail area includes the mainsail, furling jib and self-tacking staysail. The cockpit is large for comfortable daysailing and the raised deck with 7'1" beam makes for a surprisingly roomy cabin.

The Stone Horse we worked on near St. Simons Island, Georgia, was not going to be used for cruising, but required a basic refit including refinishing the wood and complete paint job inside and out, new rigging, electrics, upgraded deck hardware, and so on. Originally outfitted with a 7 hp inboard diesel, this particular boat had her engine removed some years ago and replaced with an outboard motor.

StoneHorse_3

Exterior teak was refinished in cetol light, because of its easier maintenence than a more attractive varnish.

StoneHorse_6

Looking forward into the cabin. Bunk cushions are out, icebox on left and a porta-potti is located under the fold-out seat.

StoneHorse_4

New paint is Easypoxy single-part polyurethane. Paint went on fairly well with roller and brush, but getting a smooth finish required starting each coat at sunrise before the temps reached the 90's.

StoneHorse_5

The cutter rig, a large well-supported rudder and full keel make for good balance and maneuverability.

StoneHorse_1

Standard Stone Horse layout

StoneHorse_2

Another Stone Horse under full sail

For more about the Stone Horse check out the Feature Boat article by Ted Brewer in the Jan/Feb 2002 issue of Good Old Boat magazine.